Sunday 20 January 2013

Filmwatch - and Jean Gabin


This is a photograph of Jean Gabin, probably taken after WW2. For me, he is one of the greatest film actors of all time, ranking alongside Humphrey Bogart, Toshiro Mifune and James Mason. He is famous for a number of films made in the thirties - chiefly "La Grande Illusion" directed by Jean Renoir and my favourite, but also four more - "Pepe le Moko" - "La Quai des Brumes" - "La Bete Humaine" (second favourite)- "Le Jour Se Leve". His career went into the sixties, "Touchez Pas Au Grisbi" is the film I recommend from his post-war list, many people also like "French CanCan".

Since Christmas, we have been to the cinema three times, twice to see "The Hobbit" (we loved it) and once to see "Jack Reacher", which was thoroughly enjoyable. I found Tom Cruise to be a rather convincing Jack Reacher and I liked the story.

On DVD/Blu-Ray, it has been a mixed month. My favourite film has been "Martha Marcy May Marlene", great performances from Elizabeth Olsen, Sarah Paulson and John Hawkes, all actors to watch for in the future. A good story of a troubled young woman sucked almost by accident into a small cult and her escape, great cutting and intertwining of the two timelines.

My least liked film was "Margaret" starring Anna Pacquin. I watched what seemed like two hours but was only 40 minutes. I just could not get into it.

The strangest film I watched was "Iron Sky" - Nazis from 1945, now on the dark side of the moon, invade Earth, well New York, - very strange, very low budget, poorly acted, and yet I had to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment