Friday 29 July 2016

Visit to Fort Paull


Last weekend I visited Fort Paull, near Hull, on the north side of the Humber estuary. B and two friends did not wish to see the fort so they went to see a lot of fish at an aquarium in the centre of Hull, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Fort Paul is strategically located on the north bank of the Humber. It was built to protect the port of Hull.

The Humber Road Bridge?

View across the estuary from the terreplein.

Caponnier to defend the entrance

Diagram of fort.

This is a privately owned fort so it's not run on the same vigorous lines of a public museum, such as Fort Nelson in Portsmouth which was built at the same time. However, I really enjoyed my visit, I liked the mix of artillery and vehicles and aeroplanes and the various collections housed there.

Ariel view pinched from Google Images
www.victorianforts.co.uk has the technical details and a history, but briefly, the fort was built as part of the Lord Palmerston strategy of seaport defences, between 1861 and 1864. It was armed with 19 x 64 pounder rifled muzzle loader cannons which were taken out and replaced around 1900 with 3 x 6 inch cannons and 2 x 4.7 inch QFs.

I will post some more of my photos later but for now, lunch is calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment