Saturday 30 November 2013

Poilus en hiver

Thursday - I went for a walk from the village of Copmanthorpe back into York, about 7 miles. This was the first time I realised that winter is coming, a flock of fieldfares flew over. They stay for the summer in Scandinavia, then fly here to overwinter.



The cold nip in the air made me think of winter in the trenches and of several pictures. This first is a painting by Camille Godet of a very cold and damp looking poilu, marching somewhere.


This is a poilu trying to keep warm to eat his lunch. He has a sheepskin, a balaclava and very fancy overshoes, much to the amusement of his fellow soldiers.



A snowy patrol. I'm not sure what the poilu on the right is doing, clearing his throat or his nose?

Winter of 1939/40 and the drole de guerre, this Hotchkiss m1914 on an anti-aircraft mount, in a really heavy frost. I wonder if they actually hit anything.


(All these pictures were found on Google Search - I would like to thank the people who posted them)

No comments:

Post a Comment