Friday 12 February 2016

Verdun and "Theeb"



Yesterday morning, I gave my talk "The Battle of Verdun, February to December 1916" to my local U3A Military History Group. We lost some time at the beginning, due to technical interface problems so I had to lose some of the planned detail but I think the talk was well received. We had about twenty five attendees, lots of questions, a few laughs, I only saw one person asleep, lots of thanks at the end. Made it all worth while.

Next talk - I am to do the Franco - Prussian War again for a different U3A History Group, I am looking forward to it.

Whilst I am writing, I would like to recommend the film "Theeb" to you. Filmed in Wadi Rum, Jordan where David Lean filmed a lot of "Lawrence of Arabia", it is in Arabic with English subtitles. The story is set in 1916, Theeb is a Bedouin boy that has to survive. The film has been nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar. So if you don't mind subtitles, please give it a go.


No comments:

Post a Comment