Friday 21 April 2017

Travels in 2017

Almost as soon as I pushed the "PUBLISH" button on yesterday's note, I realised I had forgotten to include another photo. Here it is:



This is the book I am planning to read on the train to and home from London. Well - the one or two chapters that cover events in 1917. I bought it a few years ago. It is a fascinating book for someone (like me) that is interested in the French Army during the Great War, over 500 pages, written by a retired US Army Brigadier General and West Point lecturer. The reason that I am rereading parts of the book is for my next talk. In mid-June I am addressing the York U3A Military History group on the Spring Offensives of 1917, that is the Battle of Arras and the Nivelle Offensive on the Chemin des Dames.

As well as the trip to London I have arranged a few others.

In May, when B is going to the Royal Windsor Horse Show with her family, I am going to Bristol for three nights. This is a city I really like - not yet decided what to do when I am there except maybe a trip to the Tank Museum at Bovington.

June - I have splashed out on a rather expensive trip with The Cultural Experience called "A Near Run Thing", four days tour based in Brussels, with trips to Ligny, Quatre Bras and Waterloo. From Brussels, instead of returning to London I am planning to visit Lille for three nights to see the museums and the fortifications. The Citadel is one of the finest Vauban works in France. It has been maintained to a very high standard, primarily because it is still a working base for the French Army and so access is very restricted.



The Museum of Fine Arts has a number of the relief maps made around 1700 showing France's fortifications.

Relief map of Lille Citadel
Also there is the Lille's Gunners Museum, this sounds rather intriguing.

Late September - the annual holiday with B - this time to Taormina in Sicily, as the summer heat is waning and after the kids have returned to school.

In addition, I am hoping to do a few day trips to various historic sites in North East England and we have tickets for the Saturday of the second test match of England v South Africa series at Trent Bridge in Nottingham in July.

A good spread of trips across the summer. The planning for 2018 has already started - Royal Opera Company has announced their 2018 programme that includes performances of Lohengrin during June. 

3 comments:

  1. That Waterloo trip looks excellent indeed. Hope to see some very detailed and massively photo-illustrated blog posts here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendation. I am quite enamored of GMT's big operational game on 1914 in the West, Attack a Outrance, and think I want to read more on the French in WW1. Speaking of which, do you know anything about for WW1 forts in Alsace/Lorraine, such as Mutzig near Strasbourg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've visited a couple so I'll put together a few photos and put them up.

      Delete