Thursday 30 November 2017

New books


This morning, just after B had gone to work, I was stood in the shower waiting for the hot water I realised....no hot water. I dressed and checked the boiler and it's not working. Now I am sat here, waiting for the plumber to come so I thought I would write another entry about my reading. A few weeks ago I wrote about two books I had received, "The Last Crusaders" by Barnaby Rogerson and "Maginot Line Gun Turrets" by Clayton Donnell.

I have finished "The Last Crusaders"; this was a terrific read, I enjoyed it very much, it was just what I needed. The author's style was easy, almost non-academic, not much detail because of the geographical spread and the time spread of the subject matter. This was what I wanted and I learnt a great deal, for example I did not know that first Portugal then Spain tried to annex large parts of the Maghreb in the 15th and 16th centuries, these annexations were largely unsuccessful. The main conflict that evolved was between the Spanish Empire and its allies in the Holy League and the Ottoman Empire and their allies the Corsairs, for control of the Med and led to the Siege of Malta and the Battle of Lepanto. All very interesting stuff.

About three weeks ago I found a copy of this book online and at a very reasonable price.

I have read the first two chapters; this is a very different style of book and of writing, lots of maps and tables and numbers. A much more academic work and I think I will finish it but in bite-sized chunks over a period of time.

I was tempted to this course by another book. The Murphey book is my third Middle East history book in a row and I have heard the siren call of my main interests- those of French history and artillery fortifications. Clayton Donnell, mentioned above, has released another book on one of my favourite subjects, the Maginot Line.

Three chapters in and I am very much enjoying it. I have reached 10th May 1940 and Operation Fall Gelb is about to start the invasion of France and the Low Countries. Exciting stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Plumber [shakes head slowly - long intake of breath through pursed lips]: "Hmmm - never seen one like that before - I'm afraid this is going to be expensive. You realise this model of boiler is no longer supported? Can't get spares now..."

    War stories - how we love them.

    ReplyDelete