Monday 23 March 2020

2020 Travel

Good morning.


Three weeks ago, my partner and I were looking at brochures and checking websites as we tried to agree on our travel plans for 2020. We had agreed on a week in Crete in June but not on the resort. We had plans to go to Gloucestershire in July. I was looking at a battlefield tour in France. Now the virus has us in its grip and all these ideas are now either on hold or cancelled. Even the cinemas are closed, as is our favourite cafe in our little town. My partner is now a home worker and is complaining about internet speed.

Life has taken an unusual turn. After the initial shock and realisation of what this next three months or longer will entail, Newbold's most famous and oft quoted line has come to mind - "Play up! Play up and play the game." So, no excuses for not researching and writing my next talk or finishing those Ottoman azab infantry, maybe I can book a trip for late September.

The Venetian Harbour, Rethymno, Crete

The Fortezza, Rethymno

A 16th century bastion of the Fortezza

No comments:

Post a Comment