Fortress Visit Report no. 2, Castello a Mare, Palermo, Sicily.
Visited June 2012.
Palermo was ringed by a bastioned enceinte but much of this was demolished during the 1860's, following the Italian Unification, as it was a symbol of Bourbon oppression. There are sections to be found in the back streets and the a few gates are visible, such as Porta Nuova.
On the seafront, sections of the bastioned wall have been adopted to commercial use.
The Castello comprised a medieval donjon and a gatehouse, then three bastions were added in the 16th century. A gun-tower was added to the middle bastion in the 17th century.
|The medieval gatehouse with guntower behind|
|Bastion flank with orillion|
|The medieval donjon|
|The guntower behind the fence|
|The interior face of the gatehouse (left) and the guntower (right). The apartment block is the external boundary of the site.|
One more interesting fortification structure, this time from the 20th century, on the beach.