Saturday 12 October 2013

Hell Is A City - Little Dorrit


Stanley Baker as DCI Martineau

John Crawford as Starling, the villain


I watched this film yesterday afternoon and I really enjoyed it. Made in 1959, directed by Val Guest, I believe it is Hammer Films only venture into film noir. Filmed in Manchester, Oldham and on the moors above Marsden when there was still plenty of cotton and coal. In particular, Manchester is still black, this is before the clean air acts, before the buildings were cleaned of the accumulated soot and grime, before the glass and steel buildings of the 1960's.

The film is a little dated, for example, there is no swearing, but the story is good and the acting is fantastic. On my Lovefilm rating, I have given it 4 out of 5.

From Monday to Thursday, I rewatched the BBC 2008 production of Little Dorrit, a four disc box set so one disc per day. Loved it, just loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment