Friday 18 October 2013

"Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger

I have had this book on the top shelf, unread, for years. I took it to Marrakesh and read the first half. This week I have finished the second half.

I did not enjoy this book, frankly it was a bit of a chore, but I encourage any history buff to read it. Junger enlisted very early in World War One and was on the front line in France just after Christmas 1914. The book confirmed what I have thought for some years. The average German in the street thought their cause was just and joined up in a patriotic fervour and pride. Junger believed he would miss out on one of life's great adventure if he hesitated, the same as any 1914 Tommy or poilu. I got a sense of clubiness or of camaraderie to his writing, I suspect the same for any universal soldier.

2 comments:

  1. I found it very interersting and useful to put me in situation when I started playing Mud & Blood a few years back. However I felt somewhat uncomfortable with the glorification of violence that this book transpires

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yes, I know what you mean, I felt the same discomfort.

    ReplyDelete