Sunday 16 February 2014

Casablanca

Cityscreen in York, that's the arty cinema in the centre of town, is having a season of classic films. This afternoon we have seen the greatest film ever made.


I have seen the film dozens of times, but never in a cinema, on a big screen. Wow, I'm lost for words.

Hill of beans speech

"Round up the usual suspects."


For me, the scene in Rick's Café Americain, when Victor Laszlo gets the band to play La Marseillais to drown out the singing Germans, this is probably the most moving scene in film history. Every time I see it I want to jump up and join in the singing.

3 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh! My favourite film
    I'd love to watch it in a big silver screen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a terrific film, all the more so for being a hastily made piece of wartime propaganda. It would have been shot in colour if the film stock had been available, and the first choice for Rick was not Bogart but Ronald Reagan. We can be grateful that it did not get filmed as planned.
    I would dearly love to see it on the big screen. Our local art house cinema is showing Kubrick's Paths of Glory next week, I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Paths of Glory! Another great classic
      I saw it in the mid 80s; can you beleive that it was censored in Spain until Frando died? And still took another 10 years or so to be shown for the first time in a cinema in the country

      Delete