Friday 19 April 2019

Aah - there you are


I have just realised that it has been almost two months since my last blog entry so here is a very quick catch-up, in no particular order.

Uni of York Lifelong Learning Courses. I have finished two courses. For five Saturday mornings I went to Cityscreen Cinema in York for this four film course

This was a great, fantastic opportunity to see classic film on a big screen, maybe not to everyone's taste, but I loved it. "Tokyo Story" is one of my top ten greatest films. So, why five weeks to see four films - well - on week three we had taken our seats in the cinema when they announced that there was a problem with the projector in that Screen so the film "When a Woman Ascends the Stairs" would be delayed by a week. It was worth the wait.

The other course was on the Dreyfus Affair. This has provided the material for me to chop down to a 100 minute talk.


Trips. No outings or excursions to report, except that I went down to London Docklands for Salute 2019. I met some very nice people, such as the wargaming group called "the friends of General Haig" who were there with TYW game, we had a good conversation about Douglas Haig and why they chose the name. Also chatted with "The Continental Wars Society", a group that studies the European wars from 1815 to 1900 (excluding the Crimean War which gets plenty of coverage already). I bought a few things - some flags and pennats from The Flag Dude, a flat pack building from Supreme Littleness Designs, some Ottoman Tufeckci musketeers from Warfare Miniatures and a Kleist Frei Korps band from Foundry because they are dressed in the Turkish style and have Turkish instruments. All in all - a grand day out.

Mentioning Ottoman - my project continues its slow progress. I have purchased two temporary tables, advertised as picnic or barbecue tables.



These fit very neatly into the conservatory with plenty of room around them. I looked at some scenery mats at Salute but did not see one that I liked, but I think  a mat will be my next purchase. The Ebay purchases continue, I have to be careful with these, I am starting a small Turkish metal mountain, but it is hard to resist a bargain.


3 comments:

  1. I like the tables, Pierre - what size are they? I have thought of using folding tables as sort of trestles, and supporting a mighty table on lengths of timber - this being part of my crazed vision of fighting the occasional monster battle in the garden (or in a marquee in the garden). I did some research, and the problem of getting tables which were compact enough when folded, strong and steady enough and cheap enough all at the same time defeated me. At one time I considered buying two old table tennis tables, but the storage would be a nightmare, and my wife would leave me....

    Sorry - got distracted there. Anyway, I'm interested in your tables. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tables are 180 x 74 x 74 cms - that's about 6' x 2'4" x 2'4" in old money. I got them from Amazon Marketplace at £30 each, cheaper than any other supplier I could find. Their design uses include garden picnics and barbeques so they can carry a reasonable weight - but sitting on them is strictly verbotten in the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent - so for the benefit of my "crazed vision" department, four of these chaps could give you a choice of tables up to (approx) 10' x 6' or 12' x 5'. Interesting - I must have a look at these online. If they would rust into the ground in the garage that would be an issue...

      Delete