Thursday 30 May 2019

U3A News

The current academic year is coming to its end. On Tuesday I gave my last talk of 2018/19, "the Fall of Fort Eben Emael, 11 May 1940" to a Military History Group in Pocklington, a lovely location in the Yorkshire Wolds.

June is the last meeting of this year for my regular group, the Military History Group of U3A York. Two years ago the Group Leader, Mike, asked for help with the IT equipment and I volunteered. So I arrive early, put out the chairs and get the room ready for our 30+ attendees, when Mike arrives I help him to retrieve the IT equipment from the office downstairs, then at the end of the meeting I help to put everything away.

Mike is in his late 80's and he has announced his retirement from the Group Leader position. He has asked me to take on the role and, after some consideration, I have accepted.

My first task - to organise a farewell and thank you lunch for Mike. My second task will be to put together a programme of 10 talks for the year 2019/20. Then it will dawn on me just what a task I have undertaken.


A totally different subject - have you been in conversation with someone that has mentioned an album you have not played for some time. For me- currently its Joni Mitchell's "Blue", released in 1971, a lovely album.

1 comment:

  1. Tomorrow the world then? Might not your Eben Emael talk make a good blog post?
    And thanks for the mention of ‘Blue’. A splendid album which I’ve not played for a while. I’ll put the CD in the car today!

    ReplyDelete